This product has been discontinued.
The FP10 (formerly FirePod) is a complete 24-bit/96k recording system combining eight high-quality PreSonus XMAX microphone preamplifiers, 24-bit/96k sample rate conversion and as an added bonus, the PreSonus Pro Pak Software Suite featuring Steinberg's Cubase LE 4 48-track recording software, over 25 real-time plug-in effects and over a GB of drum loops and samples for music production.
The FP10 FireWire recording interface is equipped with eight PreSonus microphone preamplifiers, 24-bit/96K analog to digital conversion along with SPDIF and MIDI inputs and outputs for professional quality convenient and compact no-hassle recording.
The FP10's Class A preamps are custom-designed by PreSonus to deliver high headroom with low noise sonic performance - perfect for recording a wide variety of sources including vocals, drums, guitars, bass, piano, keyboards, guitars, synths, horns, orchestras, choirs, and more. Eight potentiometers are on the front panel to easily control the input level of each preamplifier.
Inputs one and two of the FP10 can be switched between microphone or instrument level while inputs three thru eight can be switched between microphone or line input. Phantom power (+48V) is available on every channel in groups of four. Channels 1 and 2 feature fully balanced send and return TRS connectors on the rear of the rugged metal chassis for inserting outboard dynamics, EQ and effects processors. The FP10 has eight balanced TRS line outputs as well two balanced TRS MAIN outputs as well as CUE outputs for addtional monitoring.
The FP10 also includes stereo headphone output on the front panel, as well as mix control to balance monitoring levels between mixed input and main output signals for zero-latency monitoring. Two channels of SPDIF input and output as well as MIDI input and output are also included.
Two FireWire ports are loaded on the FP10 making it possible to daisy-chain multiple FP10's together creating the possibility for adding additional inputs and outputs (with mic preamps) to your system.
8 XMAX Class A Preamplifiers
The FireStudio Tube includes eight custom-designed high-voltage, discrete, XMAX Class A microphone preamplifiers for all types of microphones. Many other companies offering recording interfaces add the cheapest possible microphone preamplifier as an afterthought to the interface. PreSonus knows that the preamplifier is a key component in the sonic quality of a recording. The job of a microphone preamplifier is to boost microphone level signals to line level so that the signal can be converted from analog to digital. This mic to line boost is generally a preamplification of over 400 times the voltage of the original mic level signal. This preamplification stage is one of the most important stages that the signal will go through before converted to digital, and is why a high performance preamplifier is important to achieving great results. A cheap "off the shelf op-amp" type mic preamp that is found in most interfaces translates into thin, noisy and harsh results.
All XMAX preamplifiers are built with the same three elements:
- High Voltage - The XMAX preamplifier runs on power rails of 30V. Most off the shelf op amp based designs run on power rails of 10V to 18V. Higher voltage power rails deliver more headroom, deeper lows, smoother highs and an overall fuller sound.
- Discrete - No op amps. Only transistors, resistors and capacitors. Op amps add noise, coloration and harshness to a signal. Discrete designs deliver ultra low noise and transparency.
- Class A - When a circuit is running in Class A mode the circuit is always in an "on" state operating at its optimal voltage requirements. Class A mode has zero crossover distortion and delivers purer, clearer and more musical sonics than class A/B designs which are found in most op-amp circuits.
The net result of the XMAX preamp design is high headroom, low noise, wide dynamic range and wide frequency range, and most importantly, musicality and transparency - smooth highs, solid deep lows, and everything in between.
Ins and Outs
The FP10 is loaded with I/O for an extremely flexible and expandable recording system. The FP10 starts with eight Class A custom-designed PreSonus microphone preamplifiers. You can add additional preamplifiers by daisy-chaining up to three FP10's for a total fo 24 simultaneous inputs and outputs.
Studio One Artist—Plus Gigabytes of Creative Resources
The FP10 is bundled with an exceptional software package, featuring PreSonus Studio One Artist, the amazing new DAW software for Mac OS X and Windows XP and Vista that makes producing high-quality projects easier than ever before. As part of the Studio One Artist package, you get 20 new PreSonus Native Effects plug-ins and virtual instruments and a generous bundle of third-party loops, software, and instrument sounds.
Compare Studio One Artist and bundled extras to what comes with competing mobile interfaces:
- All-meat, no-bloat, music-creation software with an intuitive, practical, single-window interface
- Unlimited tracks, insert effects, sends, virtual instruments, buses, and effects channels
- Powerful drag-and-drop functionality
- Content browser with convenient sort options and preview player
- Full-featured, flexible automation
- Powerful real-time auto/manual time-stretching and resampling engine
- Control Link™ (advanced MIDI mapping made easy)
- Twenty 32-bit Native Sound™ plug-ins, including reverbs, amp modeling, and EQ
- Four new virtual instruments, including a sampler and an analog-type subtractive synth
- Ability to control the software mixer in any FireStudio-series interface to create zero-latency cue mixes.
- Gigabytes of third-party resources, including Native Instruments™ Kore™ Player with custom SoundPack (150 instruments), Native Instruments™ Guitar Rig LE, Toontrack™ EZDrummer Lite, and over 1.4 GB of loops!